I’m building a Django site and I am looking for a search engine.
A few candidates:
Lucene/Lucene with Compass/Solr
Postgresql built-in full text search
MySQl built-in full text search
- result relevance and ranking
- searching and indexing speed
- ease of use and ease of integration with Django
- resource requirements – site will be hosted on a VPS, so ideally the search engine wouldn’t require a lot of RAM and CPU
- extra features such as “did you mean?”, related searches, etc
Anyone who has had experience with the search engines above, or other engines not in the list — I would love to hear your opinions.
EDIT: As for indexing needs, as users keep entering data into the site, those data would need to be indexed continuously. It doesn’t have to be real time, but ideally new data would show up in index with no more than 15 – 30 minutes delay