What is this format called (nested shortcodes)?

When using plugins and commercial themes in WordPress, it’s not uncommon to meet code like this:

     Something more irrelevant here

Does this thing have a name in the WordPress jargon?

1 Answer

I would use the phrase

Nested Shortcodes

to describe it.

You can find many questions using that phrase here on WPSE.

The Codex also uses it, for example here:


Since the shortcodes in your example are related to the layout, we could perhaps call it:

Nested Layout Shortcodes

to be more specific.

If you have another phrase in mind, or a better suggestion, please share it with us.

Leave a Comment