- HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language
- HTML is the standard markup language for creating Web pages
- HTML describes the structure of a Web page
- HTML consists of a series of elements
- HTML elements tell the browser how to display the content
- HTML elements label pieces of content such as “this is a heading”, “this is a paragraph”, “this is a link”, etc.
A Basic HTML Example
<h1>My First Heading</h1>
<p>My first paragraph.</p>
<!DOCTYPE html> declaration defines that this document is an HTML5 document
<html> element is the root element of an HTML page
<head> element contains meta information about the HTML page
<title> element specifies a title for the HTML page (which is shown in the browser’s title bar or in the page’s tab)
<body> element defines the document’s body, and is a container for all the visible contents, such as headings, paragraphs, images, hyperlinks, tables, lists, etc.
<h1> element defines a large heading
<p> element defines a paragraph